Guruphiliac: God... Or Gulliblity Gene?



Thursday, April 26, 2007

God... Or Gulliblity Gene?

File under: Satscams

There's a nice little article up at Slate discussing the emergence of "neurotheology" and the folks seeking to exploit offer this new "science" for the benefit of their own financial ends all mankind.

Of particular interest is one geneticist's insistence that there is something called a "God gene," which is ostensibly responsible for a person's tendency to have mystical and spiritual experiences:
The work of Dean Hamer, a geneticist at the National Cancer Institute, raises the prospect of genetically engineered mystics. Hamer claims to have found a gene associated with "self-transcendence" or "spirituality" in a group of 1,000 subjects who filled out surveys that probed their beliefs in God, ESP, and so on. Hamer calls this gene "the spiritual allele" or, even more dramatically, the "God gene"—which is also the title of the popular book in which he describes his research. Francis Collins, director of the Human Genome Project, has called Hamer's claim "wildly overstated."
Or simply misstated. It's the opinion of this writer that the "God gene" may very well be more of an indication of a person's suggestibility; something more along the lines of a gullibility gene, if you will. It would help explain why so many fall for the grandiose flimflammers who are polluting the world with a spiritual "wisdom" that is nothing more than their own narcissistic nonsense.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 4/27/2007 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jody, the closest I ever came to seeing God in a pair of genes was at the Houston Fat Stock Show and Rodeo in 1966. The girl's genes were so tight you could read the date on the dime in her back pocket. She had a foot of bee hived hair teased up and lacquered, with a artificial yellow rose planted in the crown. Had to carry around her pink cowgirl stetson, no way she could have worn it over that hair! If semblance ever got a look at that girl, he'd be willing to give up pressing out the soma from his golden weed just to hold the reigns of her barrel racing pony! This I know!

 
At 4/27/2007 9:47 AM, Blogger Global Purple Orchestra said...

Chuck said>>>If semblance ever got a look at that girl, he'd be willing to give up pressing out the soma from his golden weed just to hold the reigns of her barrel racing pony! This I know...

~~~~ This revelation has come little too late, chuck. I just began to grow tired of gals who mess up my wardrobe and the clean towels during weekends. Watch me riding every weekend like a rodeo star and Insha Allah, at the end of a threesome huffin and puffin, I see something that looks like god and thats when I black out precisely. But chuck, you being a cowboy, I can bet my last buck, that you can judge the livestock better than me, just sitting underneath it. However, seeing the genes beneath the jeans is something I've always aspired to learn. Even otherwise, how bout some champagne and cognac competition in that HFSS & R carnival for me ? Love to see god in a liquefied form…

 
At 4/27/2007 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

semblance said...I just began to grow tired of gals who mess up my wardrobe and the clean towels during weekends. Watch me riding every weekend like a rodeo star...

........

You sure do talk some trash, podna!I got the opposite problem. It took me 20 years to keep my wife from starchin my drawers! Try sittin mule back with starched drawers. Also sorry but no frog wines and licquor is served at the rodeo. Penty of long necked Shiner beer though, although as a deacon in our local Dime Box Baptist Church, I'm not supposed to imbibe.

 
At 4/30/2007 5:51 AM, Blogger gregory said...

i am waiting for science to discover, and time to put on the cover, the fundamentalist gene.... it has to be there, given the intense fundamentalist mindset found in all religions and spiritual organaizations...

 
At 4/30/2007 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every fundementalist I ever met ate lots of grease and greasy foods.

 
At 5/01/2007 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Every fundementalist I ever met ate lots of grease and greasy foods.
...................

This is unfair! Just because everything I eat is fried in hog lard and I go to the Dime Box First Baptist 3 times per week, and I have a distink feeling I'm gonna burn in hell for reading the New Testament while sitting on the toilet, and was raised to believe 99% of humans is really souless meat hotels for the devil, I ain't a fundementalist! I make a point of tippin my hat to the only lesbian couple in Robert E Lee County, Texas every time I see them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home