Guruphiliac: Sri Sri Sells It In San Mateo



Sunday, July 09, 2006

Sri Sri Sells It In San Mateo

File under: The Siddhi of PR

AoL's Peace Prize prizing leader has arrived in Northern California after renting the San Mateo County Expo Center to park his snake oil cart:
For the first five days, Shankar will teach Sudarshan Kriya, a breathing technique he invented 25 years ago.
Sri Sri invented pranayama like Madonna invented the bump and grind.

The fact that Sri Sri sells his salvation and peace is all one really needs to consider when deciding his fitness as a Peace Prize nominee. If he really, really believed in his practice's power to save the world, Sri Sri would be teaching it to us all for free. But giving it away probably won't impress his "daddy" the Madharishi nearly as much as making more money than he did.

3 Comments:

At 7/18/2006 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon - A google search brought me to this site in doing some research into the 'Art of Living' course. Recently, in Toronto's Globe and Mail newspaper, a lengthy piece was done on the benefits of breath relating to stress. Having some experience with meditation in the past, my interest was re-awakened, for quite frankly, at this point in my life, I could use the benefits of relaxation and clarity of mind. As an educated and reasonably grounded person, (and a skeptic) I believe I am not given to be taken in by false claims. There is a local course about to start, and in viewing the contract I was a little put off by what almost amounts to a 'swear of secrecy' clause. (The 'compulsory' attendance clause also sounds a bit overbearing.) That being said, if, for $250, I could learn life-long beneficial skills pertaining to my stress levels and overall health, then I might even view it as a bargain. Are their readers of this site out there who have an opinion on the course itself and its worth - outside of any encumberance with gurus/cult aspects, etc. Thank you.

 
At 7/18/2006 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It gave a lot of clarity to my life...

 
At 7/18/2006 4:14 PM, Blogger guruphiliac said...

It gave a lot of clarity to my life...

Sure. Anything practiced sincerely will. That still doesn't mean that Sri Sri isn't a self-promoting dink on the biggest ego trip this side of Kim Jong Il.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home